Archive | Recommended Reads

All In Dust Jacket

All in: Paula Broadwell about General David Petraeus

This week Paula Broadwell, my friend, announced her new book, All In: The Education of General David Petraeus (Penguin Press, 2012) which covers the transformational leadership of General David Petraeus. This book, Paula’s first, has been three years in development with much of that time spent embedded with Petraeus’ and his staff in Afghanistan. In […]

Continue Reading

Social evolution is rarely the product of intelligent design

Please forgive me for a little shameless self-promotion, but there are few things authors enjoy more than provocative reviews from other award-winning authors and notable lawyers. Like most authors, Jack Woodville London loves books. After appreciating the many reviews that ran for his first release, French Letters: Virginia’s War, Jack decided to pay it forward […]

Continue Reading

Of Past and Future Strengths: The Colby

At the base of the Green Mountains is an institution like no other in the United States. In the quaint town of Northfield, Vermont sits Norwich University, the country’s oldest private military college. Few American institutions of higher learning as old as it still adhere to the principles of its founders. In a very substantial […]

Continue Reading

Recommended Reads-Every Soldier Has a Story

During World War II 6% of Americans served in uniform. The war effort was ever-present in the daily lives of the remaining 94% of Americans. The nation as a whole shared in the sacrifices of the war — men entered the military, women worked in the factories, and all people rationed gas and food. Two […]

Continue Reading

Women and War: Stories Make a Difference

The United States has been engaged in combat in Afghanistan longer than in any previous war. As a Nation at war for more than nine years, women are serving in new roles and in larger numbers than previous battles. More than 220,000 women have been deployed, nearly 12 percent of the force. Similar to their […]

Continue Reading